Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fashion Victim

Last Wednesday night coming home from the Goldfrapp show, I walked all the way up the steep hill leading to my apartment building. In four-inch wedges. As a result I was limping the next couple of days. Now, my school's philosophy and code of conduct--as laid out in the student catalog, which is kind of a hoot--is all about good attitude, affirmations, and positive self-talk (three things that don't come naturally to me, but I'm trying). Even so, I'm having a hard time spinning that incident in a way other than "god, am I ever stupid." Um, I'm fun-loving? I'm a risk-taker? I am thrifty? I enjoy fresh air and exercise?

Then Sunday night I went down to where my family lives, to watch my brother do his weekly gig spinning punk, garage, and soul records. I hadn't seen him in ages. It was great fun, and we ended up pub-crawling and finally walking back to my brother and his girlfriend's house to hang out. The next day, of course, I woke up with my right leg hurting and could barely drive back home. This morning I started walking to my car with my heavy suitcase full of books and beauty hardware, when my leg suddenly gave out and I nearly fell down on the sidewalk. I had to call the school and tell them I would be at the very least late. I ended up missing the whole day, taking ibuprofen and keeping my leg elevated. We were to have started on haircutting today. It seems like that might have been important. I am not the sort of person who can watch someone do something once and then replicate the results (many of my classmates are; I envy that). With physical activities, I can only learn by doing. And right now? I ain't doing shit. Well, I'm having a beer. Purely for its anesthetic qualities.

I should probably go see a doctor tomorrow. If I have to take a medical leave of absence and start over in six weeks, it's better that I find out now. Or maybe if I'm better by Thursday, it's possible I could catch up. I already feel like I started behind the rest of the class, though, just because I'm not as strong a visual learner as I wish I were. People probably think I'm a snotty know-it-all because I finished college and went to law school and always do well on memorizing terminology. But I would trade everything I've got for some kinesthetic intelligence, some basic goddamn common sense, and a cute pair of flats.

(Like these. Which they don't have in my size anymore. Wah!)

1 comment:

Beth said...

Oh, sweetie. I'm sorry you hurt your leg - that blows. I'm thinking lots of "get better soon because you are awesome" thoughts for you.