Friday, October 3, 2008

Backpedaling FTW

Maybe it's just the medication I'm taking for my leg,1 but I'm actually considering going back to law school. For an actual cromulent reason.

I was on the board for an obscure activity (let's say it was Law Students Against Cutting Your Own Bangs). It was the only leadership position I'd ever held in my life. I was good at what I did because I believed genuinely in the cause. I found the work gratifying and even almost fun at times. I regretfully abandoned my post when I left. But apparently no one else wants the position, and I have been called upon to resume my duties even in my absence from the law school. Assuming I ever got my JD and passed the bar, I probably wouldn't be able to do much with it beyond a low-paying non-profit job, but at least it would make me feel like I'd accomplished... something in my largely wasted life. Or, in my mother's words: "JUST BE A FUCKING ADULT ALREADY AND DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT."

The trouble is, I don't know what I want. This is just a case of grass-is-always-greener-ism, right? I'm just flattered because I feel needed, right? I was only ever attracted to the law because of my deep-seated class issues, right? I hated everything else about law school, right? What would really make me happy would be to make people look and feel fabulous while pursuing my creative interests on the side, right? The mere existence of this blog just proves I am too flaky for the legal profession. Right?

I honestly don't know.

1(mainly beer)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should be proud of yourself just for having been called on. Whatever you decide to do, I'm behind ya.